<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://yellowsuitcasestudios.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Yellow Suitcase Studio: Round Quilted Chair Cushion

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Round Quilted Chair Cushion

I wanted to make a fun chair cushion for the yellow chair that I use in my craft room. I found an awesome pillow pattern and tutorial by Cluck Cluck Sew that was the right shape and size. Seriously I couldn't have found anything more perfect for this project! I did make a couple modifications to the pattern so it would be more suited for sitting on.


First I picked out fabrics from my stash. It was so fun and hard to chose 12 fabrics! Of course you don't have to use that many, but why not!?!

{I made a couple swaps since this}

Next print out the super easy pattern. It comes in two sizes. I used the 16 inch large one. Then cut out the pieces.


Arrange the pieces in a way you like and take a picture so you have something to refer to if they get messed up.


Then sew them together in twos using a quarter inch seam allowance.


Iron the seams, then sew pieces together so you have 2 halves.


Then sew the two halves together and iron some more.

{yay}

One of the things I wanted to do differently than the original pattern was to quilt the top piece. I think the quilting adds more stability as well. I folded the top piece in half to get the shape and size for the batting piece (do this to cut out the back of your cushion as well).


Pin and stitch the batting and top layer together!

{quilted}


Now cut out your pieces for the sides. The original pattern has you cut out a 5" x 50" strip. I wanted to put ties on the back to hold it onto the chair and make it skinnier. I used two pieces: 12" x 3.5" and 39 x 3.5". For the ties I cut out 4 - 15" x 2" pieces.


 Iron the strips for the ties before you sew them.

{iron one end in so you will have a clean edge to your ties}

{fold each side towards the middle and press}

{and sew!}

Once all the ties are sewed, sew the side pieces together into a ring.

{here's the layering - nice sides together with the ties sandwiched in between}

Next it's time to pin your side piece to the front and sew using a half inch seam allowance.


Then do the same with the back piece. Leaving a gap so you can turn it inside out and stuff it.


Once stuffed hand, sew the little hole closed.

{wahoo! almost done!}

The next steps are for covering a button with fabric if you don't have a fancy button maker.

Cut a piece of fabric slightly larger than your button. Use a button that has the hole on the back. Are there a special name for these kind of buttons?


Hand stitch around the outside.


Place your button in the middle and pull the thread tight. I also placed a little bit of batting in between the fabric and the button to make it padded.


Now it's time to add this to your cushion! The finishing touch to cover up those seams in the middle where it didn't match up perfectly! 


On the back I used another button for extra stability and to hide the knots.


Now my seat is nice and comfy!


I wish Jake and Elwood were like this the whole time while they were in the craft room with me...

In fact, it was more like this...

{Jake chewing on pins and Elwood checking out the iron that was on. No worries, they were quickly reprimanded and shooed away!}

And like this...

{Sweet mom! You put the ties on it for us to play with!}

Let me know if you have any questions about the cushion or if you use the pattern too!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At October 7, 2011 at 7:28 AM , Blogger Rita Maria Gallery said...

you make everything look so easy! great pics :)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Yellow Suitcase Studio said...

@rita maria

Thanks Rita! :)

 
At October 21, 2011 at 6:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cute. I just made a floor version today for my daughters reading nook. As I was putting it down in between steps, I left it on a dining chair & was thinking it would make a great chair pad. Yours is so lovely & cheerful. Your cats are adorable too! Angela.

 
At October 24, 2011 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Yellow Suitcase Studio said...

Thanks Angela! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home